Areas Of Expertise:
- Large scale program management
- Transformations and delivery of complex programs involving substantial organisational change
- Ability to integrate technology, business processes and people
- Bachelor of Business, Swinburne University
- Company Directors Diploma, AICD
- Senior Management Development Program, AGSM
- SAFe 5.0 certified
About Rod Paine
Rod is a Program Director with proven experience leading the delivery of technology and improved business process in both the commercial and not-for-profit sectors. He understands business drivers, puts the supporting processes in place, leverages technology, and then works closely with the team to deliver sustained change.
He has a history of implementing major business process and systems change to drive efficiency, financial sustainability, and enhanced customer outcomes using both agile and traditional project management. A strategic decision maker that can effectively lead cross-functional teams, assess and analyze problems and recommend/implement solutions.
What Rod brings
- Substantial leadership experience including responsibility for 600 people.
- Highly experienced in delivering complex transformation programs with significant organisational change.
- Extensive vendor management and commercial experience.
- Skills and experience in setting up successful organisations.
- DHS and NDIA
- Transport for NSW
- Department of Defence
Detailed analysis and selection of ERP, GL and Consolidations functionality for AUB Group.
Assisted with the high level review and recommendations for Oracle upgrade / migration to Cloud for Virgin Airlines.
As Program Director Cloud X for AMP, Rod led a $15M, agile program to migrate 350 applications to Amazon Web Services. This included developing the business case, discovery, application assessment, risk management, wave planning, engagement with AMP business units, management of the key relationships with the vendors, establishing and managing a highly technical team (during Covid 19) and regulatory approval by APRA.
As Program Director at eHealth, Rod led the workplace transformation engagement. This was aimed at increasing the capability of the 230 strong Program Delivery Directorate. This involved a deep dive on current staff, proportion of contractors to permanent staff, revised planning processes and a directorate wide approach to demand management. It also provided staff members with career development, reward and recognition, training, variety and longevity.
As General Manager for CUSP Services, this service used a combination of enhanced business process, technology, and people, to reduce backoffice overhead costs by 4-5% for Not-For-Profit customers ahead of the NDIS rollout. In the process the customers increased billable utilisation and dramatically reduced errors in billing the NDIA. Rod introduced innovations like least cost routing and automated claiming for travel, and measurement of the profitability of each service.
As Partner and Lead for IBM in the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), Rod led the engagement with NDIA and working with DHS and NDIA, Australia Post, Microsoft and SAP on the development of an eMarket.
As Partner and Complex Systems Integration Leader for IBM, Rod was responsible for the service delivery of all significant programs of work within IBM Consulting. With a focus on Australia and NZ, he established a national footprint of suitably qualified staff, practices and tools that reduced the number of red projects (over time, over budget and poor customer ratings) by half. Introduced Agile methods.
As Lead for Transport for NSW, Rod managed multiple streams of activity as a result of the amalgamation of Transport, Sydney Trains, Ferries and Bus services. Leading the Business Application Modernisation team, he created an application inventory, conducted application assessments, identified risks and critical business windows, and related the applications to their business functions. All aimed at identifying opportunities for consolidation and simplification.
As Program Manager on Marlin, which is the maintenance system used on the Qantas jetfleet. The implementation activity was both large and complex, involving IBM, TCS, Cap Gemini, Mxi and Qantas staff. At its peak it involved 250 people and total budget was more than $200M. Rod lead an independent review of the program in and after making recommendations for change, was asked to implement the recommendations and step into the Program Manager role. This included incorporating a stronger partnering relationship with the business and a complete review of cost, risks, mitigations and schedule. Rod took the commercial leadership of all aspects of the program, including extensive renegotiation of the existing contracts. With better management, a clearer contractual basis, a realistic schedule and clarity in roles and responsibilities, the program successfully delivered in full, on time and to budget.
- Led a team that won the SAP “Best Support Implementation in Australia and New Zealand” and SAP “Best OIC / BW Implementation”.
- Manager BHP Information Technology America’s – based in San Francisco
- Federal Whole of Government clearance (Negative Vet 2)
- Director for Guidestar Life, which provides complex psychological counselling to participants under the NDIS.
- Chaired the Digital Strategy Board for Oliver Hume. Oliver Hume is one of Australia’s most reputable residential property funds and real estate services groups, and settles about 40% of all new home sales in Victoria.