- Bachelor of Arts and Science (Hons)
- Graduate Diploma of Marketing
- Agile PM – Certified APMG Project Management Professional
- PMP – Certified; Prince 2 – Certified
- Harvard University – Cybersecurity
- St Vincent’s Hospital Group
- BHP Billiton
- Jetstar Airways Global
- Victorian Department of Justice
- Department of Human Services
About Peter Philpott
Peter is a highly capable Program Manager and offers a track record of delivering transformational change. He has Extensive Program and Project Management experience in IT transformation and business operations with the ability to simplify complex programs, establish clear stakeholder buy-in at all levels, and manage large extended teams to ensure delivery of intended business outcomes.
His IT transformation experience is supplemented by 20+ years’ experience in Operations, Strategy and Business Transformation.
What Peter brings
- Highly experienced in complex program implementation with a focus on new technology design to support digital transformation strategies.
- Strong foundation in Physical and Virtual (Cloud) Infrastructure and Enterprise Applications.
- Experienced in Data Centre transformations, Networks and Application migration
- Demonstrated expertise in managing globally dispersed technical teams.
- A deep expertise in PMO governance including financial management, program controls, and reporting.
As Program Manager working with the CTO at Healthscope, Peter brought clarity and predictability to the scope definition and implementation plans for DC Build and Application Migration. This was achieved by clearly discriminating the separate workstreams and their inter-dependencies, and mapping these through transparent schedules and implementation pathways. In addition, he developed systems and disciplines for reporting and managing IT projects in order to bring added structure and formality to existing processes. These systems and disciplines included artefacts and processes relating to technical discovery and project scoping, scheduling, progress tracking, financial management and upline status reporting. The processes were designed to meet upline PMO/CIO/CFO reporting standards at the same time as facilitating day to day efforts by Healthscope project managers and IT SME’s. These systems and disciplines were socialised with the end users and received a high level of endorsement from those who were intended to adopt them
As Program Manager at St Vincent’s Hospital Australia Group, reporting to the CIO and CFO, Peter was tasked with replacing the 4 Data Centres (including application and data migration for 1500 virtual machines) in Sydney and Melbourne. These DC’s ran 250 major clinical and commercial applications and services supporting 40 hospitals, aged care facilities and research facilities along Australia’s Eastern Seaboard. The environment provides 24/7 real-time life-supporting services and accordingly, presenting zero-tolerance for service interruptions and the need for wide and explicit engagement of clinical, operational and IT personnel throughout any and all major changes. Using a team from Architecture, Systems, Networking, Applications, Security and managing a range of vendors including, Systems integration, compute and storage, Peter developed and implemented an 18 month roadmap to fully replace and migrate all workloads from Physical infrastructure onto a new scalable, highly resilient virtual platform at a cost of $8.5m. The migration included more than 20 major workstreams which were successfully delivered through a team of 50+ people, including the migration of 1500 VM’s and extensive remediation of applications and networks. This was achieved in budget, on schedule and with negligible service disruption, despite contending with a wide range of network issues, a global vendor effort to replace $2m of faulty hardware and the addition of substantial scope in response to Board decisions.
As Program Manager at the Salvation Army, which is undergoing nationwide consolidation of it $1billion enterprises, Peter was engaged to develop Business Cases for Foundation Project Streams which affect 10,000 clients across Australia. Initially focused on the Identity Management stream, the program also involves WAN modernisation/re-engineering, O365, WIN 10 and EMS, consolidation of its 3 DC’s and cloud migration of infrastructure and applications into the cloud. (including Azure/Paas; SaaS solutions and Hosted Services). Recently, new directions have been adopted concluding this work at late stages of the Identity Management Roadmap/Business Case which includes a significant transitional component for co-existence of authentication processes for legacy environments.
For Hitachi Data Systems Peter delivered a highly successful Data Centre Transformation for Transpacific Cleanaway over a very short timeframe, covering multiple parallel delivery streams in Compute and Storage, Backup and Long-Term Retention, VMWare Reporting and Networks. It entailed managing 4 vendors organisations and was very highly commended by the client organisation.
For ANZ Bank, Peter was responsible for Program Management and Governance for over 100 team members to deploy Physical and Virtual Infrastructure across all of the ANZ Bank’s 750 Australian branch network. This including managing technical support, field operations, resourcing, and delivering all aspects of Program reporting, financial, and stakeholder management. The Program at ANZ Bank was undertaken at a high security, mission critical context, and delivered successfully in line with stakeholder requirements. As part of his role for ANZ, Peter developed and implemented deployment plans for 700+ site attendances and logistical planning and control for over 5,000 devices. He also successfully established sophisticated systems for Real Time Incident reporting, platform performance, logistical planning, and management reporting of program completion status to key stakeholders.
As Senior Project Manager at NAB, Peter delivered a number of critical projects including leading a global delivery team to build and deliver a new virtualised, high availability Business to Business platform and related middleware to support a business critical, high availability B2B Trading gateway. The gateway supported $6Bn daily transaction volumes. For NAB, Peter successfully implemented an enterprise wide Intranet upgrade which effected user experience across the entire Enterprise.
As Program Manager at NAB, Peter successfully delivered a multi-stream Program of Messaging and Collaboration as part of the Bank’s Workplace Transformation. This included enterprise wide deployment of upgraded Lotus Notes Client, 70,000 workstations and virtual platforms. He also led the Build and Migration of 40,000 users from a physical legacy Domino platform onto a fully virtualised “on demand” virtualised infrastructure. The $6M program was a top tier initiative to transform the NAB’s IT environment and covered both Data Centre operations and workplace technologies. Peter led an error free implementation to plan with no user disruption. The project received Excellence awards from both IBM and NAB.
Over a consulting career (including 11 years at KPMG as Senior Manager), Peter developed, directed and implemented 50+ business engagements in operations, strategy and process optimisation to enhance customer value and maximize operating economies. Examples include:
- Efficiency Review of the Operating Theatre suite at the Royal Children’s Hospital, to identify opportunities to streamline utilisation of the facilities and effect behavioural change to maximize asset utilization
- Strategic Governance Review of the Australian Anti-Cancer Councils to align state based objectives with programs at the National Peak Body
- Development and implementation of a Change Management Program for the $9bn Department of Human Services to facilitate organisational change and maximise benefits realisation of a new Business Management System
- Requirements development for the Budget Management System adopted by the Victorian State Treasury
- Market studies for a global Medical equipment supplier to build and expand operations in the Southern Hemisphere
- Strategic business transformation design for Olex Cables to simplify their Sales, Distribution and Administration activities, resulting in savings of 20% per year in these substantial business overheads
- Strategic renewal plans for a major consumer product sold across Australia. Through carefully designed research into buyer motivations, a program was developed which elevated the product range into the top 4 strategic product categories of Australian major retail channels
- Development of media buying vendor evaluation system for MultiMedia Victoria
- Assessment of major vendor contracts for supply of office supplies to ANZ bank
- Retail strategy development for Information Victoria
As Program Manager at Telstra for Telstra’s Product Simplification Program, Peter established program plans for identifying Production and Plan Simplification opportunities across company divisions to enhance speed to market and customer experience. He also conducted detailed analysis for the Fraud and Revenue Assurance Group to evaluate company performance and reduce fraud levels.
For Jetstar, Peter led the planning and implementation of a global IP VPN (data network) to 16 countries. The program was a high profile, time critical initiative due to logistical and commercial constraints. This was delivered on time and on budget
As Project Manager at Victorian Department of Justice, Peter delivered key infrastructure build and rolled out complex change controls for 130 data sites. These ranged from small regional offices to major Data Centres for the Department. The program was awarded DoJ’s “Service Excellence Award”.
As Senior Project Manager at BHP Billiton, Peter delivered a number of key initiatives covering telecommunications, IT infrastructure, and software. These included global programs such as Data Centre initiatives in the United States, and complex networking technologies for satellite solutions covering remote locations in Alaska, Europe, Middle East, and outback Australia.