Areas Of Expertise
- Portfolio level
- Strategic Alignment
- Project Selection and Prioritisation
- Risk Management
- Resource Utilisation
- Business Value
- Benefits Management and Realisation
- Pipeline Roadmap Management
- Fixed Capacity Planning
- Value Stream Budgeting
- Cross-dependency Management \ Governance
- Reporting and Communication on business change
- SAFe Agilist
- PRINCE2 Certified Practitioner
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional & Technical Specialist – Project Server/ SharePoint
- IPMO-Expert (International Project Management Officer – Expert)
About Chris Sykes
Chris is a senior manager with 25 years of global experience, primarily working in Commercial and Investment Banking, including three years in the Energy sector and two years in Government organisations. He has successfully set up and led several traditional PMO and Agile Value Management Office (VMO) teams, to help organisations build support structures that enable the successful delivery of their portfolios of change programs. Chris ensures that executives and leaders are provided with key insights in time critical situations, allowing them to make calculated and informed decisions, based on strategic alignment and business value.
Chris is recognised as a trusted advisor, an excellent communicator, advocate of value, and highly respected by the business and technology. He applies his knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to continuously identify, map and generate value for the business, customers and other stakeholders, through portfolios, programs, projects and operations. Chris is value focused and outcome driven.
What Chris brings
- Traditional and Agile PMO expertise in Portfolio Governance, Executive Reporting, Financial and Resource Management, Tools, Communications, Stakeholder Engagement, Transformation and Change Programs.
- Ability to engage with executive stakeholders, face-to-face and globally. Specific experience engaging with key stakeholders in America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
- Essential skills to operate effectively in highly complex technology environments, spanning diverse cultures and nationalities, across multiple countries and continents.
- Valuable knowledge and key insights into banks of varied international locations; Africa, Australia, China, England, Germany, Japan, and Scotland.
- WorkSafe Victoria (WSV)
- AGL Energy
- National Australia Bank (NAB)
- HSBC Holdings Bank
- Barclays Investment Bank
- Commerzbank AG
- Royal Bank of Scotland
- Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
- Century Holdings Bank
- African Banking Corporation
As Senior PMO Manager, Prevention Strategy at WorkSafe Victoria, Chris set up and managed the Prevention Strategy PMO, circa $100M / 200 FTE. As a Senior Manager he was responsible for all PMO processes and services and for the quality of all PMO deliverables across the Prevention Strategy Program. Chris provided planning, reporting and governance services through the delivery and support of PMO processes and templates, and performed regular health check reviews. He managed a team of PMO Consultants to deliver the PMO services. In addition, Chris performed PMO management services to support the delivery of the Strategy Program, in accordance with agreed parameters around Schedule, Quality and Scope, in alignment with client requirements, and in adherence to Enterprise policies and procedures.
As Value Management Office (VMO) Manager, Strategic Delivery, at WorkSafe Victoria, Chris authored a 60-page VMO presentation pack to share the ‘VMO’ concept with executives and senior leaders. He was subsequently engaged to establish and implement the VMO for Strategic Delivery on a $110M / 400 FTE portfolio of 12 programs, to support Claims and Recovery Strategy (Insurance) and Prevention Strategy (Health and Safety) business units. All VMO artefacts produced and successfully transitioned to EPMO.
As Senior PMO Manager, Strategy, at WorkSafe Victoria, Chris set up and managed the Strategy PMO at WorkSafe Victoria on a $140m/450 FTE program to support traditional and Agile teams. Managed a team of up to five people.
As PMO Manager in the Customer Markets Value Office at AGL Energy, Chris was a senior member of the Value Management leadership team. After spending two and a half years in Customer Markets, Chris was engaged to transition the Customer Markets Portfolio (CMP) into a new Value Office, to provide insight and oversight across the Customer Markets plan, to turn strategy into action and unlock opportunities for growth and transformation. Chris successfully embedded enterprise portfolio governance and executive level reporting, established shared best practices, and supported decentralised but efficient program execution. He enabled further uplift in portfolio capabilities through communities of practice, workshops and training, and thereby enhanced the growth and dissemination of institutional knowledge.
As PMO Manager in the Customer Markets Portfolio (CMP) at AGL Energy, Chris enabled continuous improvement to business processes and tools by helping to streamline and automate key functions, using SharePoint, Project Online, JIRA, Confluence, Tableau, and Power BI reporting dashboards, resulting in increased due diligence, enhanced data quality and accuracy. Furthermore, Chris leveraged property services to enable large workstreams to better collaborate, communicate and co-create, by providing them the necessary work environments in which to operate more efficiently and effectively, through collocation.
As PMO Lead at AGL Energy, Chris managed a team of eight people and successfully led the Agile PMO on a large Customer Experience Transformation (CXT) Program consisting of multiple workstreams and circa 600 people, within Customer Markets. The organisation invested $300 million over three years, in order to enhance digital capability and platforms, to deliver an industry-leading digital experience and drive value for customers. CXT aimed to uplift core systems and capabilities, drive customer adoption of digital interactions, and deliver unique customer experiences that build trust, advocacy and loyalty. CXT was about putting customers first, using sophisticated analytics to make sense of data in order to provide personalised services and new product offerings, helping customers optimise their energy plans and ensure a sustainable future.
As PMO Lead at AGL Energy on the CXT Program, Chris helped to set up the Tribe Services team in an Agile environment. This new Agile PMO provided a consistent context for delivering in a more Lean and Agile manner, driving the new way of working. Chris worked collaboratively with all relevant business units such as Finance, IT, Procurement, Group Risk & Audit, Procurement, and People & Culture, to ensure that the program adhered to organisational policies and processes, and upheld enterprise PMO standards and best practices. His primary focus was Portfolio Governance and Executive Reporting, whereby Chris successfully established the respective communities of practice, leadership forums, showcases, ceremonies and cadences, for effective portfolio execution.
As the Workstream Delivery Manager to the ASIC PDS Project, part of SFT Program at NAB Wealth, Chris managed a team of eleven Product SMEs. The goal was to obtain substantiated evidence required to support the issuance of 475 Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for 1.1 million NAB Wealth members, who transferred to the MLC Super Fund. Chris successfully contributed to achieving the project’s overall objective, to meet all ASIC PDS regulatory requirements. Chris had responsibility over provision of evidence to support development of scope, assessment of requirements, development of templates and matrices, production of disclosure documents, enablement of PDS reviews and approvals, and alignment of the project plan to stream milestones. Chris was instrumental in ensuring NAB Wealth met its compliance obligations within the stipulated timeframes.
As 2IC to the Program Director at NAB Wealth, Chris chaired team meetings and actively participated in project steering committees, providing progress updates and status reports. Chris offered detailed insights to project and program executives and Project Approval Board (PAB) members. He successfully engaged with the NAB Wealth Trustee approval delegate, the Disclosure Governance Committee (DGC), product managers, relationship managers, digital and procurement teams, resourcing, risk and management assurance, in relation to the review and approval of 475 PDS documents.
At NAB Wealth, Chris devised a method for tracking the daily progression of activities by circa 20 project resources, to provide an accurate view to the steering committee on where additional resources should be assigned. He owned the issue of ~6,500 PDSs to be mailed to product members (where sub 500 PDSs were expected to be delivered). Chris proactively managed the fulfillment of these 6,500 member requests with Fuji Xerox, in the form of emails or letters, for each benefit category and product type within the scope of the ASIC PDS project; to include insurance guides, investment menus, fee flyers, and plan schedules.
As Senior PMO Analyst at NAB, for the Bank’s NextGen Program, Chris worked on the $1.5bn multi-year transformation program. He was tasked with upgrading and implementing changes to a wide range of core banking systems, finance and risk controls, data sources, processes and customer channels. Chris undertook the management of previous NextGen PMO deliverables, and he was the primary point of engagement for consultants from Accenture, CapGemini, Deloitte, Infosys, and Oracle on key PMO matters. He received recognition for outstanding performance from his EGM.
For NAB’s NextGen Program, Chris successfully managed complex project financials on large initiatives. These included resource time costings, funding proposals, budgets and forecasts, and variance analysis. He reported to executive level on headcount, FTE, costs, forecasts vs actuals, and program status. Chris engaged with risk and management assurance teams to mitigate risks and resolve issues, and he maintained a critical dependency register to escalate internal and external dependencies.
For NAB’s NextGen Program, Chris actively controlled, monitored and maintained procurement processes and resource requirements; purchase orders, cost uplifts, goods receipting, invoicing, statement of works. He managed resource profiles, accommodation, property, demand and system on-boarding and off-boarding. In concurrence, he successfully set up and maintained project and resource schedules, and prepared detailed resource plans. Chris reviewed staff utilisation, release priorities, capability projections, insights and trend analysis. Moreover, Chris initiated and managed the transition of all program financial tracking workbooks to a new cost management toolset. He analysed data and identified cost savings to minimise program over/underspend.
As PMO Lead at HSBC, Chris played a key role on the $100m transformation program within the Global Banking and Markets division in the UK. The program focused on optimising resource and technology costs across as business asset classes, and streamlining processes and policies, ultimately resulting in effective and sustainable savings in excess of $150m compounded year on year. Chris successfully set up and managed the global PMO remit, including governance, portfolio reporting, cost management, resource management, vendor management, and senior stakeholder engagement. Chris had responsibility over governance relating to contracts, recruiting, and invoicing. He was able to ensure 100% compliance to policies, enterprise methodologies, standards, principles and processes.
At HSBC, Chris effectively engaged with workstream leads on the management of resources and financials. In conjunction with relevant teams, he was able to accurately maintain <3% variance on FTE and costs, month on month (forecast vs actual). Chris successfully designed, developed and exclusively managed the global program SharePoint sites and workspaces.
As IT Manager-PMO within the Technology PPM team at Barclays Investment Bank, Chris was based in London. He specialised in project tools, status reporting, financial reporting, project governance, and portfolio management. His extended role encompassed process quality management and SharePoint development, with a focus on the tactical solution to enhance the MS Project Server environment.
As Workstream Manager for the implementation on Microsoft Project Server at Barclays, servicing 20,000+ users, Chris engaged with Microsoft and other key vendors to discuss new project tools and technologies. He was subsequently appointed as Release Manager for the review, prioritisation and approval of all major system releases, and established the Project Server working group to drive through challenges to the toolset. He produced user acceptance testing (UAT) documentation and facilitated testing sessions.
As Release Manager at Barclays, Chris accurately tracked and monitored project progress and status reports for the Top IT Projects at Barclays. He ensured adherence to project governance and reviewed reports for exceptions, produced detailed presentations for senior executives and Technology steering committees, and delivered communications to key interfaces; program managers, COOs, and CIO directs.
As PMO Coordinator at Commerzbank AG within the global IT Program Office based in London, Chris’s key functions involved tracking and monitoring of pipeline projects from inception through to delivery and closure, while providing effective data analysis and portfolio reporting to senior stakeholders, ensuring quality control and adequate support to project and program managers.
Other Team Members
- Declan BoylanGeneral2020-01-15T02:30:38+11:00
- Gareth JamesGeneral2021-01-19T11:29:58+11:00
- Connie McKeageZeus Lara2021-03-09T10:14:51+11:00
- Hugh HarleyZeus Lara2020-04-01T04:18:49+11:00
- Michael BlomfieldZeus Lara2023-02-14T10:26:26+11:00
- Temre GreenZeus Lara2022-11-23T10:52:41+11:00
- Mike StockleyZeus Lara2022-08-30T12:56:19+11:00
- Julie LaoitZeus Lara2022-07-19T09:10:59+11:00
- Rob ThomsettGeneral2023-01-31T17:26:36+11:00
- Louise FordGeneral2020-01-15T03:08:18+11:00
- Aaron SimonsenZeus Lara2022-08-30T11:02:06+11:00
- Akhilesh DasZeus Lara2022-11-08T10:09:51+11:00
- Alan AlehashemiZeus Lara2022-07-19T09:07:40+11:00
- Alex JahanZeus Lara2022-12-13T10:15:47+11:00
- Alex MassieGeneral2023-05-09T15:42:17+11:00
- Alexander RivkinZeus Lara2023-03-28T15:40:59+11:00
- Alexandra Marie TanZeus Lara2023-03-14T15:15:24+11:00
- Ali PahlavanGeneral2023-05-17T01:57:15+11:00
- Alisdair BrownZeus Lara2022-08-30T09:51:38+11:00
- Amanda WalkerZeus Lara2023-06-06T11:10:57+11:00
- Anders MadsenZeus Lara2022-08-02T17:55:11+11:00
- Andrew CheesmanZeus Lara2022-08-09T12:17:42+11:00
- Andrew ColeyZeus Lara2021-12-21T12:36:47+11:00
- Anish JoshiZeus Lara2023-04-04T15:04:09+11:00
- Ann Mica Mae LimZeus Lara2023-05-11T14:08:40+11:00
- Anna Linfield-KentZeus Lara2023-03-14T16:25:51+11:00
- Audrey TehZeus Lara2023-05-30T09:39:32+11:00
- Barbara ReadGeneral2023-04-27T09:42:19+11:00
- Benn SalierZeus Lara2021-07-06T13:45:00+11:00
- Bita BagheriGeneral2021-03-02T14:12:11+11:00
- Blake DahlenZeus Lara2023-02-23T09:47:16+11:00
- Callum DoddZeus Lara2022-11-23T11:00:39+11:00
- Caroline LeesZeus Lara2023-01-17T10:29:22+11:00
- Cathy BaldwinGeneral2021-01-19T16:55:52+11:00
- Chika NnadiekweZeus Lara2023-03-28T15:27:26+11:00
- Chris SykesGeneral2022-05-26T12:50:02+11:00
- Cliff BlakleyZeus Lara2023-05-11T13:52:16+11:00
- Dave RiderZeus Lara2022-02-04T01:57:49+11:00
- David JohnsonGeneral2022-06-01T10:43:16+11:00
- David MansfieldZeus Lara2023-02-14T10:37:32+11:00
- Deanna EdwardsZeus Lara2023-03-28T15:46:04+11:00
- Derek OldhamZeus Lara2023-05-09T15:38:58+11:00
- Elise Kellond-KnightZeus Lara2019-07-04T22:47:54+11:00
- Ellen MisadorZeus Lara2023-03-14T15:30:57+11:00
- Eugene O’ConnellZeus Lara2022-03-22T16:14:36+11:00
- Francis AseronZeus Lara2023-02-24T09:56:24+11:00
- Fritzie LigeraldeZeus Lara2021-08-17T15:41:14+11:00
- Gilbert WongZeus Lara2022-05-25T12:27:00+11:00
- Guru SwaminathanGeneral2023-05-26T16:16:29+11:00
- Hardik LakhaniZeus Lara2022-03-08T16:33:18+11:00
- Hayley WeirZeus Lara2022-03-01T12:16:09+11:00
- Helen ArgitisZeus Lara2022-05-26T12:13:35+11:00
- Ian SalvadorZeus Lara2022-06-14T17:51:51+11:00
- Ian ThomsonZeus Lara2023-04-27T09:46:51+11:00
- Ibrahim DaniZeus Lara2023-05-09T15:33:59+11:00
- Igor VieiraZeus Lara2022-06-28T16:45:19+11:00
- Jerry CobbGeneral2022-06-28T15:49:32+11:00
- Joanna CarlosZeus Lara2022-02-15T17:48:05+11:00
- Jochebed DiazGeneral2022-11-16T12:53:12+11:00
- Johaimah GarridoZeus Lara2021-03-16T10:08:35+11:00
- John MiddlemistZeus Lara2021-07-21T12:11:54+11:00
- Jovilyn MagtotoZeus Lara2022-08-02T13:27:08+11:00
- Julia Nicole JustoZeus Lara2023-02-23T08:34:34+11:00
- Katherine WhitesideGeneral2022-11-30T17:42:36+11:00
- Kunal ParikhZeus Lara2022-01-25T11:49:10+11:00
- Lauren GrouseZeus Lara2023-06-06T11:56:05+11:00
- Louigi GardiolaZeus Lara2023-02-23T08:31:20+11:00
- Louise WhiteGeneral2021-05-11T16:20:05+11:00
- Lousiene SamonteGeneral2022-08-30T14:27:05+11:00
- Maddison SchmidZeus Lara2023-05-11T09:35:43+11:00
- Mariam KohaniZeus Lara2022-07-19T09:57:04+11:00
- Marian Joyce MakalintalZeus Lara2023-03-14T15:51:17+11:00
- Marianne DinsayZeus Lara2023-02-23T08:32:42+11:00
- Mark McAdamGeneral2023-05-03T12:09:06+11:00
- Mark MillenZeus Lara2022-08-30T12:47:06+11:00
- Matthew KnightZeus Lara2023-02-23T08:32:48+11:00
- Melanie NorthropZeus Lara2023-01-31T17:06:41+11:00
- Melody FrampZeus Lara2023-05-09T16:20:00+11:00
- Melody TuazonZeus Lara2023-05-09T15:59:40+11:00
- Michael BryantGeneral2022-08-09T11:38:32+11:00
- Mohammad RamezaniGeneral2022-07-13T16:18:36+11:00
- Muhammad Sauood Ur RaufGeneral2022-08-30T14:20:48+11:00
- Nevil CopeGeneral2022-08-30T14:24:26+11:00
- Niall BurkeZeus Lara2022-10-11T13:16:07+11:00
- Nick RodwellZeus Lara2022-07-14T11:47:55+11:00
- Nicole HattenZeus Lara2022-03-22T16:18:26+11:00
- Ninia OrtileZeus Lara2022-10-11T14:26:40+11:00
- Pablo Andres Cordova BayaZeus Lara2023-02-23T08:48:38+11:00
- Parastoo MousaviZeus Lara2022-12-13T10:24:00+11:00
- Paul BernardZeus Lara2022-02-04T02:19:40+11:00
- Paul KirschnerGeneral2022-02-04T02:26:06+11:00
- Peter BoylanGeneral2023-03-14T16:22:42+11:00
- Peter PhilpottGeneral2022-11-08T10:05:47+11:00
- Rahul KaushalZeus Lara2022-08-03T10:22:38+11:00
- Rajiv BoddupalliZeus Lara2022-12-13T09:44:21+11:00
- Robert CaminitiGeneral2020-10-07T04:02:43+11:00
- Robert CrossmanGeneral2022-03-08T14:18:21+11:00
- Rod ThomasZeus Lara2023-04-27T09:51:15+11:00
- Rohini VermaZeus Lara2021-04-13T12:23:02+11:00
- Rohit SatijaZeus Lara2023-05-09T15:27:58+11:00
- Roxane MontierroZeus Lara2020-12-15T06:30:55+11:00
- Sanjay NarayanZeus Lara2023-02-14T11:09:04+11:00
- Saurabh KundiZeus Lara2023-02-23T08:26:14+11:00
- Shiraan FernandoZeus Lara2023-03-14T15:07:49+11:00
- Shruthi SrinivasZeus Lara2023-02-07T09:53:04+11:00
- Sreekanth BadamZeus Lara2022-11-09T17:14:36+11:00
- Stephen CurtisZeus Lara2023-05-30T09:22:30+11:00
- Tameka YallopGeneral2022-03-08T16:41:26+11:00
- Tanvi MahajanZeus Lara2023-03-28T15:21:57+11:00
- Through ZhuZeus Lara2023-02-23T10:21:23+11:00
- Thuc Linh Nguyen PhanZeus Lara2023-05-30T09:39:47+11:00
- Tony CalusicZeus Lara2022-08-01T16:52:17+11:00
- Vanessa VellaGeneral2021-12-14T12:11:12+11:00
- Winona Astian ThianZeus Lara2023-02-23T08:34:19+11:00
- Yanmin ChenZeus Lara2022-03-08T16:40:11+11:00
- Zach BarnetbyZeus Lara2022-06-24T11:08:22+11:00